I obtained this recipe from The Family Kitchen. It came out different than the original recipe, but it was still delicious!
- Ditalini pasta (about 3/4 of a box)
- Extra virgin olive oil (to toss in the pasta)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter + 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp Mrs. Dash (original seasoning)
- 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt/pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta as directed in box.
- Prepare frozen peas as directed (I opted for the microwave)
- Drain pasta and set aside cooked peas.
- Add pasta to a large mixing bowl and add in a splash of extra virgin olive oil– toss well.
- Add in the vegan butter and salt. Toss until well distributed.
- Add in the garlic and toss.
- Lastly, add in the spices and nutritional yeast. You can add more nutritional yeast if you’d like – depending on how savory and cheezy you want it. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly, fold in the peas. Serve warm or stick in fridge until ready for use.
The biggest thing I can recommend while preparing this recipe: Use a large bowl! You’ll be doing a lot of tossing/mixing/folding, so the more room you have, the better.
The original recipe called the frozen peas to be added to the pot during the last minute that the pasta is cooking – This confused me a bit, as I didn’t think frozen peas could be well cooked for a minute! This is why I opted to just throw the bag of peas in the microwave. (Perhaps I was misunderstanding the original recipe? If you have any ideas or feedback, please let me know in the comments!) Also, for the life of me I could not find garlic paste – So I substituted crushed garlic (you can find this in a jar near the pasta sauces.) It didn’t seem to make a difference for the consistency. The yeast really pulled this everything together!